So I'm going to make a catalog of various sets I'm planning to use - I'm sure I'll swap between these as the mood and whim strikes. I'll start with my hands-down absolutely favorite, best remembered set from the last two years that I actually gained and used actively while playing that I haven't worn in close to a year - the Sanctified Lightsworn Plate. This is the set in it's unadulterated glory:
It certainly isn't bad on it's own,and it might be fine for healing, or even DPS but I think tanking sets just look better without a skirt. I adore paladin sets with with plate skirts, but I think functionally they work as ceremonial or for healing at best. And besides, can you imagine her being able to kite mobs in that skirt? I don't think so. The set itself is dramatic and striking, the visor is unique, the glow and effects and the details of the ribbon are lovely and I like the way it works even when you color shift it for some glamour shots.
So, taking the head and shoulders as a base, and relying exclusively on Icecrown gear, I build into this.
Paladin Transmogrify Set: Modified Sanctified Lightsworn Plate
(link to full set)
The set uses a lot of stuff you can easily purchase from Vendors or get crafted:
- Head: Lightsworn Faceguard (1100 JP)
- Shoulders: Lightsworn Shoulderguards (695 JP)
- Chest: Lightsworn Chestguard (1100 JP)
- Legs: Pillars of Might (crafted)
- Hands: Gauntlets of the Kraken (695 JP)
- Boots: Boots of Kingly Upheaval (crafted)
- Belt: Lich Killer's Lanyard (695 JP)
- Shield: Icecrown Glacial Wall. Drops from Blood Queen Lana'thel in 25s - alternately, you can buy an almost-look-alike from the legacy PvP gear vendor in SW/Org called Wrathful Gladiator's Redoubt for 190 Honor. It comes in 3 colors so you can find the one you like best. It's not as nice as the Glacial Wall but for being so easy to obtain it's absolutely a good substitute.
The only thing you might actually have to go hunting for is this:
UPDATE POST PATCH 4.3!!
It's one thing to plan an outfit and another to wear it. I found the shield and sword to just not be up to my standards in game, in terms of look and feel, and while it might work for you, the shield in particular was just too big and disguised my character's face far too much. I wound up using the Soul Blade and a vintage shield called Brutal Gladiator's Barrier that you can buy from the retro PvP vendor in Stormwind/Orgrimmar the same as the PvP shield I linked above for a small amount of Honor. Here's how I look in game right now:
Pretty snazzy, if I may say so myself!
Next time, I'll look at modifying Tier 13 to be even more bad-ass than it already is, by eliminating the bare-mid-riff and tweaking the look slightly with different weapons and cloaks.